Re: Confussion over multi-homing

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Fri Sep 15 06:14:31 2000

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Patrick Evans wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, John Fraizer wrote:
>
> > They won't see it even if their /20 announcement is being filtered
> > as long as their upstream is listening to it.  (Upstream being the
> > carrier they obtained the /20 from.)  This is because even though
> > some ISP/NSPs may not listen to the specific /20 announcement, I
> > haven't found any who will ignore a /19 or /17 announcement for
> > the master block.  As long as they know how to get to that block,
> > and teh "upstream" knows how to get to the /20, the route
> > filtering isn't going to be apparent at all... Until the time that
> > the "upstream" has connectivity issues.
> >
> So the general picture is...
>
> I advertise a /22 to ISPs A and B, my upstream providers, using space
> allocated from provider A's assignment.
>
> ISP A's connection to the world (okay, ISP A might not exactly be
> UUNet) goes tits up at which point the world ceases to see any
> announcements because the aggregate with the shorter prefix has
> vanished, and they're filtering the longer prefix announced via ISP B.
>
> The whole thing seems to be dependent on ISP A not having problems
> connecting to external ASes.
>
> Or am I missing something big? If multi-homing still leaves me
> dependent on one of my upstreams being alive, there would appear to be
> something very wrong...
>
> --
> Patrick Evans - Sysadmin, bran addict and couch potato
> pre at pre dot org                     www.pre.org/pre

That's where you stand if people are filtering your /22
announcement.  You're dependent on less specific announcement making it
through.  Keep in mind that you are only dependent on ISP A for traffic to
providers who are filtering on the /20 boundry.  There are LOTS of folks
out there that filter on the /24 boundry that your announcement will make
it through to via ISP B.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc

-- Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse --
classfield  top-secret government  restricted data information project CIA
KGB GRU DISA  DoD  defense  systems  military  systems spy steal terrorist
Allah Natasha  Gregori destroy destruct attack  democracy will send Russia
bank system compromise international  own  rule the world ATSC RTEM warmod
ATMD force power enforce  sensitive  directorate  TSP NSTD ORD DD2-N AMTAS
STRAP warrior-T presidental  elections  policital foreign embassy takeover