Re: Confussion over multi-homing

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Fri Sep 15 01:40:54 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, David Lott wrote:

> ISP.  I also understand that there are filters at the /20 boundaries in
> order to minimize the size of the routing table.

This depends on who's filters you're talking about.  I suspect most
smaller ISPs filter at the /24 boundry if at all on their transit or
peering links.  It's the bigger NSPs you have to worry about.  You can
find some (ok...not very much really) info on this on the www.nanog.org
site.

Verio has a reputation for having one of the stricter filter policies, and
even they accept /24 and shorter in large portions of traditional C space
(ARIN has allocated /20's and larger blocks from this space)...meaning
depending on what portion of 0/0 your space is in, you may get lucky and
be able to be seen as blocks as small as /24.

IIRC, some of the blocks ARIN is now allocating from are in the "you're
screwed" ranges where Verio filters on /20 and shorter...so if you get
space from an ISP that recently got space in that range, you're screwed.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |