Re: Confussion over multi-homing

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Sep 14 17:51:21 2000

On Thu, 14 September 2000, Brantley Jones wrote:
> The problem is GETTING a /20 from anybody.  We recently tried and could
> only get a /23 (being a small start-up).  BUT, that /23 is (apparently)
> globally routable because of peering agreements with L3 and UUNET.  Our /23
> prefix has yet to be filtered by anybody.

It could be filtered now.  You just won't find out about it until you try
to reach a particular site, or they try to reach you.

There is no practical way to test if an address is being "globally routed."
You could try testing every address in your route table, but there is no
assurance your route table is complete.