Re: When IPv6 ... if ever?

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Thu Sep 14 14:04:16 2000

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 06:37:36AM -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> The deployment of IPv6 is going to be EXPENSIVE in terms of real opex
> and probably real capex as well, it IS going to be visible on the bottom
> line of every ISP on the planet, eroding whatever margins one has.

	I'll buy opex, but not capex.  In fact, if it's capex expensive
then we are not managing our vendors correctly.  New hardware and software
being developed today should be designed to support IPv6, it's not that
hard.  The price increases necessary to support it are small, as long as
it's done early on in the process.  This insures that boxes deployed 1-3
years from now will be fully IPv6 ready at little or no cost over their
inital deployment cost.

	Sure, when the v6 day comes some stuff will just have to be
replaced, and there may well be a few items that just cost more for v6,
so it won't be cost free.  That said, it shouldn't break the bank.

	Opex is another story, and at the moment a bit scary.

--
Leo Bicknell - [email protected]
Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440