Re: GiGE performance question(s)

  • From: Scott Michel
  • Date: Wed Sep 13 13:13:04 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, RJ Atkinson wrote:
> >Anyone out there have any Cisco GigE operational experience? I've got a
> >customer who's evaluating GigE to 100 switched Ethernet, and they want
> >a homogeneous vendor network (I don't know why, I just help them write
> >the trade study...) So far, there's a huge question about Cisco GigE
> >to 100 switched performance and I was wondering if anyone's willing to
> >cough up numbers.
>
>         What sort of numbers are you after ?

Well, given the customer, often the numbers their looking for are pretty
nebulous and often not as well defined as anyone'd like, but getting a
customer's requirements are usually that way to begin with.

Basically, they want to be all Cisco, contemplating GiGE fiber for their
backbone, with switched 100 to the desktop. The numbers they're interested
in are number of sustainable 100 ports to GigE port. With a 45Gbs backbone
quoted for the Cisco box, that would appear to be pretty limited.

> >Although, if there are numbers for other non-Cisco vendors, they'd be
> >helpful ammo as well.

Published and "what I'm really operating and seeing" would be really
useful. This particular customer has a number of applications where they
could easily have multiple ports running pretty close to 40-80 Mbs in
distributed applications.

Thanks for the question. Hope this narrows things down a little.

-scooter