Re: When IPv6 ... if ever?

  • From: Charles Sprickman
  • Date: Tue Sep 12 13:39:38 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> As for the performance issue, can someone give me a pointer
> to *INEXPENSIVE* NAT box which can operate at 100Mbps, or better,
> 1Gbps?

Inexpensive can be a pretty loose term.

> I was asked by ISPs which are beginning to offer 100Mbps Ethernet service
> to subscribers.

They probably have a little cash then...

> My guess is that there is none.

This product, while primarily a firewall, demonstrates that doing NAT and
firewalling (lots of shared code there, see IPFilter) on an ASIC makes for
a much cheaper solution than FW-1 on a big Sun Ultra-something...

Anyhow they claim lots of sessions:

http://www2.netscreen.com/pub/products/ns1000.html

I'm sure there are others riding this bandwagon as well...

Charles