Re: MAE-ATM Wire Speed PVC Interest Poll

  • From: Mike Leber
  • Date: Mon Sep 11 19:20:29 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Nick Gerber wrote:
> I don't have any MAE-ATM access ports, but I would be interested in how
> line rate ATM works.
> I supported the Sprint ATM backbone for several years and never heard of
> something like this before.  Could you forward me some info or links?
> Or am I misunderstanding the meaning in your email?

A few people have asked me questions like this so I am clarifying to the
list.  BTW, I have had excellent positive response to my original email.
If you are interested and haven't responded yet please do so.

Currently MAE-ATM customers can only create what amounts to CBR PVCs to
other peers by using a web interface called PeerMaker.  This means that
you must allocate a fraction of the capacity of your port to each of your
peers which typically results in PVC sizes betweem 5 amd 10 Mbps if you
have an OC3 port.  Due the the configuration of the MAE-ATM switches, any
traffic sent in excess of the configured PVC size is dropped (we have
verified this repeatedly).  This results in a large amount of wasted
capacity and unecessary droppage of packets.  Traffic tends to grow and
shift; continual reconfiguration of PVCs is not realistic.

By comparison, Pac Bell NAP and Ameritech NAP customers talk via wirespeed
UBR PVCs, which generally results in better utilization of the service.
Better in this case being measured by larger amounts of traffic being
carried with less loss and less management cost.

The benefit of using UBR vs CBR at an exchange for most users is based on
the premis of connections not being saturated.  Even in the case of a
saturated connection CBR does not fix things; in fact it creates another
bottleneck with a much lower saturation threshold.