Re: So is this service available out there ?

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Thu Sep 07 18:32:19 2000

Rick Irving wrote:

> > Do you know of any service or database that
> > will provide a relationship
> > between Class C and major geographical regions?
>
>   Anything public ?

This is the holy grail of Advertising Knowledge on the Internet, is
non-trivial*, and many people claim to have the answer.

*VPNs
*NAT
*Most ISPs have large nets (/8, /16) and assign randomly (and change
arbitrarily)
*AOL (12 egress points for their entire 40M user base, no mapping).

Many have tried to map the net (I believe MERIT has links) with nothing
better than 50% relevance at the time of the mapping effort. As we all
know things change.

There is a group who believe there is a solution ;-)

Probably 6 months away...
--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.