Re: Ameritech Service Quality Report

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Wed Sep 06 10:05:09 2000

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 09:20:11AM -0400, Charles Scott wrote:

>   What? Are they not sticking clock cards into those SLC's? I find that
> hard to believe. :)  Have someone order ISDN.

Unlimited-use BRI in that town is $150 a month.  Another way SBC is
serving the public.

>   I have to ask though. What's better, marginal 28.8 for a number of
> customers or good 33.6 and higher for a few. Don't you want more
> customers?

Keep in mind that this was 1997 and 1998, and the phone lines were so bad
all over town that nobody was getting more than 28.8 anyway.

The compression was resulting in people getting 19.2k and 16.8k
connections, and they were rightfully considering this to be
unacceptable.  They of course always blamed us, and indeed often it was
our lines with the problem so they had a point.

The phone company would test them for a while, "find nothing wrong", and
things would mysteriously clear up afterwards.

Then the Wal-mart across the street would need new lines, and suddenly
we'd have 3 or 4 go bad for a couple days until we'd notice the pattern.