Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Charles Scott
  • Date: Wed Sep 06 07:52:38 2000

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Ben Ryan wrote:

> But, IPv4 address space will be used up, sooner or later certainly
> before anonymous ftp become obsoleted and, perhaps, a lot sooner
> than most of you expect and

All:
  Clearly things are not nearly as bad as some would like us to believe
and there should be no doubt that there are much larger pastures to farm
than having Web hosting companies convert to Name based virtual Web
services. For one, how many of the Class A allocations are going largely
unused? Some mostly don't even route. Until those massive segments of
address space are brought up to the same efficiency of utilization as the
typical ISP and Web hosting companies achieve, I think it's going to be
hard to convince many of us to comprimise our services to save a few
hundred or even a few thousand addresses.

Chuck Scott
Gaslight Media