Re: Ameritech Service Quality Report

  • From: Steve Gibbard
  • Date: Tue Sep 05 18:34:53 2000

It's been about five months since I last dealt with Ameritech in Michigan,
but prior to that I was dealing with them on a pretty much daily basis for
a few years.

I may be forgetting something, but I don't remember ever having a five day
repair time on a previously working HiCap circuit.  I had one that took
two or three days once, involving what was apparrently a particularly
nasty wet cable problem on some underground copper, but according to our
customer Ameritech did have people out there working on it for much of the
outage period.  More often I'd wait on hold for an hour before finally
talking to somebody who would open a ticket and have a tester call me back
an hour or so later.  Then, if it was an internal problem rather than
something requiring a dispatch, they'd generally get it fixed pretty
quickly.  If it required a dispatch, they'd still generally be able to get
somebody out to the site within a few hours.  The hold times were never
what I considered acceptable, and several circuits had the same problems
multiple times, but it was nothing like what Sean's summary, or the first
couple pages of that Ameritech report (I haven't read the rest yet), would
seem to imply.

Residential or small business repair is another story, and week lead
times, before escallation, seemed pretty typical.  With escallation, it
was generally possible to get that down to two or three days, which could
still be pretty bad.

My impression is that most carriers promising four hour repair times are
selling HiCap type stuff, where those lead times may be almost possible.

-Steve

On 3 Sep 2000, Sean Donelan wrote:

> The Michigan Public Service Commission has launched an investigation
> into Ameritech's service quality.  According to Ameritech, in August
> the estimated average repair time will be 115 hours (almost 5 days).
> Significantly up over previous years' average repair times of about
> a day (25-28 hours).
>
> http://www.cis.state.mi.us/mpsc/comm/ameritech.htm
>
> What I find interesting isn't Ameritech's long repair times, but how
> do providers promise 4 hour repair times when the dominant local loop
> provider takes over a day to fix something on a good day.

Steve Gibbard				[email protected]