Re: mae-east atm latency

  • From: Christian Nielsen
  • Date: Tue Sep 05 16:04:39 2000

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:

> 	(But, seriously, they may be doing something related to the
> end-of-year move.  Anybody heard anything?)

Are you talking about the new MAEs that WCOM is working on? From what I hear,
it will be an optical switch fabric, pick your OC-level.

This will be in the same regions that the MAEs are located. I hear Seattle and
Atlanta are being added. They will also put them in 'neutral' locations as
well as WCOM facilities. So you could be in one building and 'peer' with
providers in different buildings in the city. This is good to save on LL
costs.

For example, if they could bring this to the bay area and put it in the
following locations, it would be good for all players.

PAIX, WCOM, AMES, Equinix

That way, I can pick the best place to colo (like I do in London today) and
hookup to compaines at all four locations. No longer do I need to co-lo at all
locations.

I see this as the next step in public peering. Taking the LINX model one step
further.

Christian

MFN/Abovenet is NOT an ISP... From: "Skrba, Dejana" <[email protected]>