Re: When IPv6 ... if ever?

  • From: Nathan Lane
  • Date: Tue Sep 05 01:58:22 2000

[email protected] wrote:

> If I charge a customer more for IPv6 connectivity than for IPv4
> connectivity, to offset the costs of dealing with ships-in-the-night
> routing (deploying it, training everyone to understand it), do you
> think my entire customer base is going to transition over to IPv6?
>
> Ask yourself, as an ISP, how much more you are willing to pay your
> transit providers for IPv4 + IPv6 transit, and how you are going
> to get the money for that and for the deployment/retraining costs.
>
> Then ask yourself, as an ISP, what benefit you get from IPv6.
>
> My answers: not a chance, none, and zero, respectively.
>
>         Sean.

Sean,

You speak in such extremes of your vision of what we should do with our
applications and usage of IP.  Might you expand your vision to include
others?

How are you going to support a customer who legitimately needs a /8v4
worth of end-to-end connected devices and has the purchase orders to
prove it?  How would said customer, though, envision such an application
if they couldn't get an allocation for it?  They wouldn't and your
business would never see it.  The application would either die or find
another provider or protocol.  In my place, the application isn't
dying.  I've been fighting for SNMP proxies (to manage the existing
plethora of devices), but these SNMP proxies don't exist and leave the
wonderfully developed SQL databases so carefully designed over the years
useless (and I hate proxies...I like end-to-end).  Management doesn't
like hearing you can't know the number of cans of Coca Cola in the
machine outside store 359 at this "right now" second.

Read about Televend.  A $4.50 radio in vending machines.  Ouch on the IP
address usage for that application.  How many vending machines do you
cross day to day?  We can NAT these to our hearts content, but
eventually it must connect to the true supplier and that requires
end-to-end.  How can ipv4 support that load?  I don't think it can.

Think ahead.  My xeroxed copy of "RFC 1" is a fascinating journey as it
was written shortly before my wife and I were born.  It discussed the
finances and realities of building the network from Santa Barbara and
UCLA to Salt Lake City @ 1200 bps across the Mojave Desert.  It
discussed the costs of 2400 bps and the stations required to make it a
reality.

Think about the future applications.  My own three children do not know
what a modem is.  They expect and are delivered IP connectivity and if
any of them reports network trouble, I know I have failed in my delivery
of full connectivity for all applications.  (Their access is filtered;
but my son's very mention of DHCP sends my hackles rising.)

Business is now, indeed.  Applications are later.

-Nathan Lane