Re: bring sense to the ietf - volunteer for nomcom

  • From: Nathan Lane
  • Date: Tue Sep 05 00:43:19 2000

Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Sean;

[...] I'm not sure of the proper attribution here...

>> and ideally help make the IETF
> > a little more relevant to those of us actually building the Internet
> > that those bodies seek to "standardize" and "architect".
> >

> Well, you can try, as now may be long after IPv6 has lost the war
> against the reality.
>
>                                                 Masataka Ohta

Two very good points here.  I raised the relevance issue awhile back
with the IETF and was not greeted kindly.  There are many more
organizations than just NANOG pondering the relevance aspect.  There are
also folks, including myself and others, within the IETF trying to work
with the relevance aspect which is a genuine problem in many areas.

One major issue that I haven't taken the battle up yet to do is the
criteria for the selection of specific "operational experience" that
appears to be a requirement for advancement of a draft to any true
status.

It reminds me greatly of the classic IEEE Comsoc article titled "Of Holy
Wars and Ivory Towers" ca. 1981.

One can also note that IEEE Globecom is presenting many formal papers
directly in the IETF area shortly before IETF in San Diego.

-Nathan Lane