Re: Request for assistance

  • From: dan
  • Date: Sat Sep 02 17:39:03 2000

In a just, sensible world, you would be able to sell your IP space.
Instead of the capitalistic IP address exchange we should have,  we
are stuck with the IP equivalent of a collective farm. I suspect that you
are now screwed, as the fine folks at ARIN (as well as everyone else)
reads this list.

Why don't we just have a electronic IP Address Commodity exchange? We
already pay for IP addresses now, in several ways:

1) IP address analysts to crank out huge ARIN reports

2) Yearly ARIN fees

Last time I checked, we were all in this for the money. (gasp!) Why don't
we just make it more honest and allow IPs to be bought and sold like all
of the other tools of our trade. That's the only way all the old legacy
space (currently being horded) will every get used. Remember who has all
the legacy Class A space? Big corps and colleges. If ARIN asks for it
back, they will give them the organizational equivalent of the middle
finger. On the other hand, if someone made MIT a decent offer, they would
sell their space in a minute. Make IPs fungible assets is the right way to
go.

Daniel Golding