RE: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 15:37:21 2000

> Because failure to appear at a public hearing was never an excuse for
> refusing to abide by the decisions made at that hearing.

Typically there's always a plethora of proxy options as well as lengthy
response timeframes as well.  Don't forget that.  These things are not as
simple as they are presented here.  In fact, many processes in which failure of
appearance results in a default decision etc provide extensive paths for
extensions, reviews etc to give people every opportunity to voice their views
if something prevents them.  Typically you can't just set one date and say, if
you can't make it you default.  That's not how this works.

> The board that
> made the recommendation/decision was elected by the membership. So it is
> a democracy.

.. By far the shortest definition of democracy I've ever seen. *sigh*

> You already did (if you're a member) by electing the board who made the
> decision. Maybe you mean an absentee ballot system? After a while, that
> becomes an inefficient way to run the system.

How is that?  Inefficiency is a reason to curtail your so-called democratic
process?  I think anyone who believes democracies are by nature efficient is
out there.  Dictators are by far the most efficient rulers as far as decision
making is concerned.

--
Christian Kuhtz, Sr. Network Architect              Architecture, BellSouth.net
<[email protected]> -wk, <[email protected]> -hm                       Atlanta, GA