Re: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

  • From: Nathan Lane
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 01:43:51 2000

Patrick Greenwell wrote:

> Gosh, doesn't that beg the question: why don't we require the return of
> all that wasted space that was delegated to anyone and everyone so long
> ago?

YES...please do.  Keep it mind, it will be simply an attempted land
grab, though.  I WANT to give back my blocks (there is NO WAY I could
justify the giveback to management, though...it's real-estate), but the
land grab would prevent it due to the ARIN policies.  27 legacy /16s are
completely ill-proportioned to my organization...but the notion of
prior-property makes them think they "own it." Make those folks with /8s
and /16s justify it just like us startups have to.

OR, just read M. Ohta's work and get the allocations overwith once and
for all to foster the transition.

-Nathan Lane