Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Brian Wallingford
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 01:20:05 2000

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
: At 18:15 31/08/00 -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
: >On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 06:09:11PM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:
: > >
: > > Why can't they use those apps through NAT? I do it from home quite often.
: >
: >Are you going to set up the port forwarding for 500,000 customers?  1 million?
: >
: >You and I can set things up so port 22 goes to one machine, port 23 to
: >another,
: >etc., but what are you going to do for 500,000 customers?
:
: Based on Cisco:
: http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/701/60.html
:
: "As a result, Cisco IOS PAT [Port Address Translation - HN] supports about
: 4000 local addresses that can be mapped to the same global address."

Try to explain to a current user that (s)/he needs to use a different
port for each ftp server they're running, and that their (likely
win98/2k) customers need to adjust their clients accordingly.  Then expand
that to include other services.

I'm all for the preservation of IP space, but (sure, I'm singing to the
chior) we're not talking about a one-size-fits-all issue.

I'm catching up at the apparent tail end of the thread, so I'll relegate
additional posts to ppml.

Cheers,
brian