Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Thu Aug 31 16:10:07 2000

This is not meant at anyone personally, its just something I noticed.

When we are deciding that IP savings, etc are worth it, why not make all
Cable/DSL/Dialup providers use NAT to map access logins to a small pool of
IPs too? The software to do that transparently is already available for a
very high percentage of applications. Heck, even upstreams could then NAT
their downstreams' pools of IPs. We could run the whole internet off a
single class C again.

This would of course be an inconvenience to some networks that use a lot
of applications that haven't been updated, but we're sure the savings are
worth the pain too.

---

I guess the point/concern I have is that the largest providers can now
pick up /13s because they use that many IPs in 3 months, but if you
subtract out the number of truly unique IPs even the largest network would
absolutely need, applying all available technology, the number might be as
low as a few hundred unique IPs.

Deepak Jain
AiNET