Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: multics
  • Date: Wed Aug 30 14:21:06 2000

> On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > > Name-based virtual hosting does not work in many, MANY cases.  Beyond
> > > this, if you have multiple customers on a single IP address and one of
> > > them is an idiot and spamvertizes their website, several providers have a
> > > policy of nullrouting the /32.  Now, not only does it kill a single site
> > > but, potentially hundreds!
> > >
> > > ---
> > > John Fraizer
> > > EnterZone, Inc
> >
> > That might be an advantage in fighting spam.  Think of the potential
> > lawsuits against the hosting company and the spammer for loss of business
> > from the spam block.  The hosting company should not have accepted a
> > spammer or as soon as they are known to be a spammer, they must take
> > action to prevent loss of business to the non-spammer customers ;)
>

> You've obviously not been in this situation before.  Just how are you to
> know what a customer is going to do prior to turning them on?  Do you have
> access to mindreaders?  Do you submit your customers to a polygraph prior
> to enabling their port?

Yes I have.  I accepted golfballs.net as a customer after confirming
that it was a new owner and specifically telling them that the wite
would go poof at the first sign of spam.  goldballs.net had previously
been a pretty famous spammer.

Also note I said "or as soon as they are known to be a spammer" since you
can't tell what every customer is going to do in advance since if they
are a spammer they are likely to lie to you about spamming to begin with.

> I am fairly certain that the number of hosts that will accept a customer
> who says "I want your middle grade package and, oh, by the way, I'm going
> to be SPAMMING the planet to promote my site!" is very limited.

I would hope so.

> The potential lawsuits against the hosting company for loss of business
> are just more reason to use an individual IP per domain.

Yup, that's my point.

--
Richard Shetron  [email protected] [email protected]  NO UCE
What is the Meaning of Life?      There is no meaning,