RE: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Wed Aug 30 11:54:51 2000

Since when is it ARIN's business to determine what my business requires?
Also, why should encryption be special-cased? I'd like to see encryption
be made de rigueur, especially in the face of the FBI Carnivore. Yes,
this would eliminate non-IP based hosting. But, that is actually the
special case. However, this would also play havoc with in-line hardware
compressors(encrypted packets are generally non-compressable<g>).

Even if you lay all that aside, I know of at least three dot-com
online-store hosting firms that could be be crippled with this ruling.
They will probably get a variance. I know of at least two other ventures
that will be trying the same play. It's a good bet that they won't get
the variance, or they will wind up arguing their business plans in front
of ARIN, which has absolutly NO business reviewing business plans in the
first place, unless ARIN has money to invest.

I challenged earlier, show me another way to read this. Thus far, you
haven't.