Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: sigma
  • Date: Wed Aug 30 00:00:54 2000

> Where did you see stuff about FTP/POP3, etc.? I saw lots of stuff
> about HTTP, which is to be expected, but I didn't see any references
> to other services.

It's not uncommon to provide those services as part of the Web hosting
bundle.  We provide a virtual FTP site to every customer who has our
virtual Web hosting service.  Many of them rely on it - anonymous FTP sites
are still actually quite popular and important to many users.

We also provide virtual POP3, virtual IMAP, etc.  I know that other
providers even go so far as to virtualize Telnet, finger, and probably
others.  Once you need IPs to virtualize one useful service, the rest may
as well be done.

There are lots of issues the policy doesn't even begin to consider.

Kevin