DUL list objectives

  • From: Joe Rhett
  • Date: Wed Aug 23 21:43:59 2000

> The DUL list is extremely useful. J.D. can correct me if I am wrong, but
> they don't do any probing with this list; they just list the IPs that are
> in dialup pools. It doesn't matter if they have an open relay or no mail
> server at all. Since there's rarely any legitimate reason for someone to
> be sending mail from a mail server on a dialup line, this easily blocks a
> large source of spam with little risk.

More to the point, they only list IP networks that the administrator of the
network has _asked_ them to list. This list is a voluntary opt-in on the
part of the ISP in question.

--
Joe Rhett                                         Chief Technology Officer
[email protected]                                      ISite Services, Inc.

PGP keys and contact information:          http://www.noc.isite.net/Staff/