Re: Now the idiots at ORBS are probing random dial-ups

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Tue Aug 22 15:34:57 2000

If you wish to speak in the company of engineers and technical
professionals then when asked for measurables, for numbers, facts,
figures, you either attempt to present some, or acknowledge you have
little to add with your subjective impressions and speculations and
realize that the utility of such ramblings is probably quite limited.

Around 500-1,000 different relays per day pumping spam with
impunity. I can give you today's list if you like, I just sent the
list to Paul Vixie for perusal as part of a side discussion we were
having on this topic. It doesn't change in magnitude much day to day,
and I cannot see any measurement here which indicates these
self-annointed anti-spam projects which mostly focus on the honest do
any good. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

I think it was John McCarthy, the Stanford professor, who used to say
"Those who will not do arithmetic are doomed to speak nonsense".

But you can usually tell when people really haven't anything but what
they want to believe in hand, they get increasingly verbally volatile
when mere facts, numbers, would settle the matter.

       -b