Re: Now the idiots at ORBS are probing random dial-ups

  • From: Chris Adams
  • Date: Mon Aug 21 22:30:26 2000

Once upon a time, Barry Shein <[email protected]> said:
> Is there any reasonable way to tell these ORBS and MAPS losers
> "possibly good intentions, but so badly run that: no thanks" from the
> net administrator community.

MAPS people are not "losers" IMHO.  They don't actively scan for problem
hosts; they only check a host _after_ a supposed spam has been relayed
through a host.

As for ORBS: I have had several customers with open relays lately (which
they've shut as soon as we notified them).  A couple of them used our
primary mail server as a smarthost, so ORBS listed it as well.  In each
case, ORBS failed to notify us of the listing at all.  We only found out
when our customers had mail blocked at servers using ORBS.

If it is okay for them to scan our hosts and not notify us, I guess it
would be okay for me to write a script that continuously looks up each
IP address allocated to us in the ORBS lists so I can know when there is
a problem.
--
Chris Adams <[email protected]>
Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Information Services