Re: The last thing I'm gonna say about IRC

  • From: Henry R. Linneweh
  • Date: Sun Aug 20 18:04:32 2000

'Chanserv decreases nothing' and IRC has long been abandoned
by most packetpoopbuttwarriorkiddies, now its networks, 'ISP's'
competing with each other for customer share in a failing market
place.

Shawn McMahon wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 10:43:10AM -0700, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:
> > > Hence, if all the IRC networks would implement Chanserv, and educate users,
> > > these attacks would decrease.
> >
> >       Actually, then they get directed at the services, their
> > upstream hubs, etc.  Trust me on this.  As long as IRC is running
> > in some way, shape, or form, you have a very big bullseye placed
> > on your network.
>
> I did say "decrease" not "stop entirely".
>
> Every argument I'm getting thrown back at me is arguing against the latter,
> instead of what I actually said.
>
> If even one person doesn't attack because he can't take over the channel,
> and brief service interruption doesn't cut the mustard for him, then using
> Chanserv was a good tool, and that's the only claim I made.
>
> If you want to argue that the attacks won't decrease, fine; but everybody
> please stop telling me that they won't cease, because I KNOW THAT ALREADY.

Thank you;
| Thinking is a learned process. |
| ICANN member @large            |
| Gigabit over IP, ieee 802.17   |