Re: DDOS attacks lately?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sun Aug 20 09:58:30 2000

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> > A start would be to make it criminal negligence worldwide to operate a
> > network that can be abused even after several notices about this fact. If
> > you are a smurf amplifier and have been for quite some time after several
> > notices, you should be punished.
>
> I can name military networks which fit the above description. Now whos
> going to 'nail them to the wall'?

Are you telling me that you have no civilian authorities in the US that
can do anything about your armed forces and what they do? They can do
whatever they want?

> > If you have rooted machines on your network that are used for DDOS
> > attacks and you do nothing about it, you should too be nailed to the
> > wall.
>
> tin.it (apparently the incumbent telco for all of italy) fits this
> description. Not only have they disclaimed any responsibility for the
> activities of their users, they have also publically stated they will do
> *nothing* about it.
>
> So, whos going to nail an entire telco to the wall?

Who nails McDonalds to the wall if they start serving toxic burgers?

Multinational huge companies can be fined for negligence too. That's why I
said "make it criminal negligece worldwide".

It's very possible that this is already the case, it just hasn't been
tried in a court of law. As the internet becomes more and more mission
critical, either we (the business) start to clean up, or we will be forced
to clean up by the authorities (or by law suits).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]