Re: DDOS attacks lately?

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Sun Aug 20 08:50:55 2000

On Sun, Aug 20, 2000 at 02:38:09PM +0200, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> ... or even better, we could all try to work together to take away the
> attack tools from the kiddies. As long as they have the tool, they'll find
> some reason to use it.

Since the attack tool is "knowledge about TCP/IP, and access to the
Internet", taking the tool away from them is not possible nor desirable.

Our focus should instead be on figuring out ways to make the user of the
tool accountable, and implementing appropriate punishment for misuse.

Sometimes the tool is "ping".  Do you really want to eliminate it?

Do you really think we *CAN* eliminate it?

Or, to put it another way:

If you outlaw ping, only outlaws will have ping.