Re: DDOS attacks lately?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Aug 19 21:38:30 2000

On Sat, 19 August 2000, John O Comeau wrote:
> It's been a while since the big-name websites got DDOS'ed, but some large
> data centers I know of still see hosts on their networks getting DDOS'ed
> once or twice a day. It's not uncommon for those with only DS3 connections
> to get them completely clogged for several minutes with attack traffic. If

In the last couple of weeks the government held a few meetings with
selected industry people.  The National Security Council decided the
FBI's NIPC should be the lead agency for warning the public and other
government agencies about "cyber-threats."  Unfortunately the historical
focus of the FBI has been chasing criminals, not warning the public.  They
don't seem to have much experience providing details to the public, and
default saying as little as possible. It might have been better to select
the National Weather Service as the lead agency for warning the public.  Or
at least some other agency with fewer conflicts of interest.

Supposedly "top people" are working on it, but I'm not sure what they are doing.

http://biz.yahoo.com/st/000731/16974.html