Re: lame delegations

  • From: Gary E. Miller
  • Date: Fri Aug 18 15:37:24 2000

Yo Joshua!

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Joshua Goodall wrote:

> c) not everyone wants the reverse to match the forward (is this an RFC
>    violation? I hope not :)).

RFC 1912, Sec 2.1:

" Make sure your PTR and A records match.  For every IP address, there
   should be a matching PTR record in the in-addr.arpa domain.  If a
   host is multi-homed, (more than one IP address) make sure that all IP
   addresses have a corresponding PTR record (not just the first one).
   Failure to have matching PTR and A records can cause loss of Internet
   services similar to not being registered in the DNS at all.  Also,
   PTR records must point back to a valid A record, not a alias defined
   by a CNAME.  It is highly recommended that you use some software
   which automates this checking, or generate your DNS data from a
   database which automatically creates consistent data."

I have yet to hear a convincing argument why this RFC should be
ignored.  I have seen many problems when this is ignored.

RGDS
GARY
Gary E. Miller Rellim 20340 Empire Ave, Suite E-3, Bend, OR 97701
	[email protected]  Tel:+1(541)382-8588 Fax: +1(541)382-8676