Re: lame delegations

  • From: Patrick Evans
  • Date: Fri Aug 18 14:29:54 2000

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000, Derek J. Balling wrote:

> In fact, this is a nice DoS in and of itself. Don't like someone?
> Set up name servers all throughout their address-space, so that
> they can't use them themselves without jumping through hoops,
> e.g.,

> Has anyone seen this DoS in the wild? Strikes me as clinically stupid
> that nobody has seen this and exploited it in the past...

This happened to us once with the Argentinian registry. Someone, we
know not who, had registered the host ns0.magic-moments.com with them,
which we happen to use as the primary NS for domains hosted with us.

When we went to register a .ar domain for the first time, our app was
rejected because the nameserver record didn't belong to us!

Was somewhat of a pain in the arse for our lad to have to sort out.

--
Patrick Evans - Sysadmin, bran addict and couch potato
pre at pre dot org                     www.pre.org/pre