Re: lame delegations

  • From: John O Comeau
  • Date: Fri Aug 18 10:05:34 2000

Obviously I didn't make it clear what is the problem in my previous post.
So far I got the following 2 replies:

"The NIC should allow for dummy [default] nameservers and allow the
technical contact of a nameserver to remove his or her nameservers from a
domain without requiring an administrative ack."

Yes, but we are not the technical nor the admin contact for these domains;
we just provide the IPs. What I propose is that the tech or admin contact
of the NETBLOCK has authority to delete the host registration by virtue of
the IP being his.

"If the IP's are allocated to you, what's it matter where your old
customer  still points their NS? Just remove the old customer from all of
your db's and reallocate your IP's elsewhere."

We've been doing precisely that, and that's where the problem comes in.
The new customer cannot register his nameservers because the IP is already
registered as a nameserver. Then he complains, we look like idiots, and we
have to give him other IPs to use.

[email protected] aka John Otis Lene Comeau
Home page: http://world.std.com/~jcomeau/
Disclaimer: Don't risk anything of value based on free advice.
"Anybody can do the difficult stuff. Call me when it's impossible."