Re: spammers will move offshore?

  • From: J.D. Falk
  • Date: Thu Aug 10 16:24:34 2000

On 08/10/00, Daniel Senie <[email protected]> wrote:

> I find it impossible to get off some folks' junk (paper) mail lists.
> Calling, writing, emailing, telling them I'll never buy their products
> or services is no deterrent. Example: Learning Tree (provide
> computer-related training) has been sending me junk mail for 16 years.
> I've asked for it to stop, but it's cheaper for them to just send stuff
> than it is to prune their list when requested.

	There are already laws which cover paper mail and telephone
	solicitation.  The best resource for info on that appears to
	be http://www.junkbusters.com/ .

	And, to answer a question earlier in this thread: yes, there
	have been heavy fines levied against advertisers who do not
	follow those laws.  Same with junk faxes.

	http://www.cauce.org/ and http://www.suespammers.org/ can tell
	you of the work being done on US legislation for spam.  But,
	let's not open the debate on whether that's a good idea or
	not here again, okay?  Or if you do, please read the bills
	in question first.

--
J.D. Falk                                             "Laughter is the sound
Product Manager                          that knowledge makes when it's born."