RE: spammers will move offshore?

  • From: Morgan Dollard
  • Date: Thu Aug 10 11:43:53 2000

andy, disregarding sexual spam, and focusing only on spam, in the US, YOU
ARE paying for the time wasted for the spam processed, by paying taxes. Now
im not saying spam is good, dont even think for a second i am, i cannot
stand oopening my mailbox to find 150 spam in it (a newsgroup mailbox). i
couldnt agree more with the fact that it does waste bandwith, server space
and cpu, and pisses the general population off, but when i receive spam
saying wana make 20k in a week, i wouldnt dream of suing that person, nor
would i sue if they sent me any other junk mail stuff (sexual left aside).
The meaning of my post was to point out the fact, that MAYBE, if such
standard practices werent allowed in the first place, the problem wouldnt
arrise. Every1 in this industry knows about the so called Internet gold rush
all sales/marketing people picture of, and the change in web technology over
the past 5 years has considerably shown that. they make more apealing stuff
( more bandwith and size consuming), and send of bulk mail, we build better
backbones to transport it, but in the same way that u are paying for junk
mail or spam, ur also paying for gamers,and  pirates sharing gigz of warez
and yet if u removed just both of these comunities from the net, you'd have
solved more by stopign piracy which is consting the industry truck loads of
money, compared to the time, money (and obviously publicity etc etc etc)
spent during a trial against a spammer. all this is jsut to point out that
NO MATTER what you do, to restrict abuses on the internet, only servers
located inside the USA geographical area are subject to american laws, even
though most of the junk i receive comes from US servers, and not european or
asian servers. in the end, unless u have the feds track spamers as the most
dangerous people to effectively sedn them to already overpopulated jails and
cost more money to tax payers, you havent fixed anything. just like hackers
find hiles in security systems, so will spamers.
spam in a can, good,
spam in  a packet, BAD

Morgan