Re: spammers will move offshore?

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Thu Aug 10 11:37:56 2000

David Charlap wrote:

> Morgan Dollard wrote:
> >
> > Im confuesed about the origin of this discussion, since i mised the
> > kick off, but i see way too much concern over spam, we've all been
> > receiving junk mail in our Mailboxes (paper plastic stuff) for years,
> > and has any1 ever been sued or banned from the US postal service for
> > it?
>
> There's a difference.  When someone physically mails you an ad, you
> suffer no damages.  The sender pays for the ad.  It costs you nothing to
> receive it.

Often repeated, but untrue.

Someone has to spend TIME to sort through the junk. That time has value.

Someone has to pay for carting the trash off to the landfill or
recycling center. There is normally a cost associated with this as well.

What is true is with postal junk mail, the sender pays SOME of the cost,
whereas with email junk, the sender pays nothing or so close to nothing
as to be unmeasurable on a per-piece basis.

Paper junk mail represents a very real cost to companies. Think about
the 3 or 4 pieces you get each day at the office, multiplied by hundreds
or thousands of people in a facility.

I find it impossible to get off some folks' junk (paper) mail lists.
Calling, writing, emailing, telling them I'll never buy their products
or services is no deterrent. Example: Learning Tree (provide
computer-related training) has been sending me junk mail for 16 years.
I've asked for it to stop, but it's cheaper for them to just send stuff
than it is to prune their list when requested.

Daniel Senie                                        [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com