RE: surge in spam email (fwd)

  • From: rdobbins
  • Date: Thu Aug 10 01:36:59 2000

We have a zero-tolerance policy for spam, too, and do our best to stop it
-before- we get complaints.  If we receive a complaint, we do a quick
(within minutes, not hours or days) investigation to verify the facts, then
shut down the spammer.

It's funny, though - the only reason -I- care about spam on a personal level
is when it chokes a mail server, or someone starts spamming a listserv.  I
have a pretty good set of filtering rules on my relay and my client, and the
little bit that gets through I just delete.

When it's in my own inbox, it annoys me about as much as junk postal mail,
or telephone solicitors - i.e., not at all.  I toss the former in the trash,
and tell the latter to toss -themselves- in the trash.  Life's too short to
waste on developing an ulcer because of morons, you know?

I guess the traffic does add up to significant $$$ in transport for the
larger transit providers, though.