Re: surge in spam email (fwd)

  • From: Derek J. Balling
  • Date: Wed Aug 09 16:20:46 2000

At 3:46 PM -0400 8/9/00, Barry Shein wrote:
We need laws,...
<snip>

I dunno,... using your list as a guide, I don't find a lot that US legislators can do... last I heard, .au, .pl, .de, .pt, .uk, .sg, .tw, .fr, .nz, and .es are all outside of the "long arm o' the law". I didn't take the time to see how many of the [IP] and .(com|net|org) entries were actually in the US or were themselves foreign, but the top 6 entries in your list would "laugh at those silly American laws". That puts the majority of spam out of the reach of the law, making the law a useless waste of time. This is definitely an area that self-governance (ORBS, MAPS, et al, choose YOUR personal favorite... "let's not argue over who killed who") is best.

 119 entoo.connect.com.au
 112 mailsite.dmn.com.au
  64 [email protected]
  56 www.nehls.de