Re: AOL caves in to spammers

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Wed Aug 09 11:22:13 2000

Roy wrote:

> AOL restores Harris Interactive access
>
>        Harris Interactive (HPOL: news, msgs) said Tuesday it has dropped
> federal charges against America Online (AOL: news, msgs). In a
>        lawsuit brought two weeks ago, Harris accused AOL and other Internet
> service providers of harming its business by blocking Harris'
>        e-mails to registered participants of its opinion surveys. The block
> was instituted after an e-mail monitoring service, Mail Abuse
>        Prevention System, identified Harris as a voluminous sender of
> unsolicited, commercial e-mail. AOL restored Harris Interactive's
>        communication capabilities with its respondents who have AOL
> addresses. Litigation against remaining defendants in the case will
>        continue, Harris said.

AOL didn't cave in. Reuters and BusinessWire ran a PRESS
RELEASE from Harris, and traceroutes to AOL still showed
AboveNet as of yesterday. The "news" article didn't contain
any quotes from AOL, AboveNet, MAPS or anyone besides
Harris.

Harris's stock is in a lot of trouble and my bet is that they lied...
they posted a "clarification" yesterday, but they're still full of
crap...

--
North Shore Technologies, Cleveland, OH  http://NorthShoreTechnologies.net
Steve Sobol, BOFH - President, Chief Website Architect and Janitor