Re: [OT] Valley of the Boyz

  • From: Sheryl Chapin
  • Date: Mon Aug 07 10:28:14 2000

Ummm, I think you guys are missing the point.  The point is that guys live,
breath and eat this stuff, but to most women, it's just a job.  I am the
only female technical person in my (admittedly small) company.  One of the
guys once described me as "being very good at my job, but it's just a job".
 I have no problem with that discription, when I go to lunch, I'm not
interested in talking "tapes, hard drives and wiring", I do that at work.

And yes, I have very little in common with these guys.  Most of them go
home where there are more computers than people, all networked together and
play for hours (by play, I don't mean games, I mean they write programs and
expirement with new technology).  They *love* this stuff.  I go home and
don't even look at my computer unless I'm beeped.

In a previous job, (again, the only woman) I was invited to stay and play
networked doom with the guys one Friday night.  I played for an hour, ok,
it was fun, I'm done now.  They played until 3am.

Personally, I always thought it was just me, but maybe it is a gender
thing.  Is that bad?  I really don't know.

Sheryl Chapin
CommTel Internet