Recent issues surrounding g.root-servers.net

  • From: Larson, Matt
  • Date: Fri Aug 04 16:52:17 2000

Informational message--Recent issues surrounding g.root-servers.net:

On Friday, July 28, g.root-servers.net, operated by DISA, started having
trouble reliably loading the com zone.  With ICANN's and the DOC's approval,
the NSI Registry changed the root zone to replace g.root-servers.net with
g.gtld-servers.net in the com, net and org NS RRsets.  It was our goal for
g.root-servers.net to be answering with current zone data for the full
six-day TTL of the com, net and org NS records following the change.  That
has not proved possible; for example, on Friday morning, August 4,
g.root-servers.net loaded and served up a truncated com zone for a few
minutes.  We have asked DISA to stop loading the com, net and org zones on
this server: We believe that it is better for g.root-servers.net to be lame
for com, net and org rather than to be giving out bad data.

The change to the root zone reflected in serial number 2000080101 will not
be fully seen until the end of the six-day TTL.

Matt Larson <[email protected]>
DNS Platform Manager
Network Solutions Registry / www.nsiregistry.com