[[email protected]: Thawte PGP Support]

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Fri Aug 04 10:07:03 2000

Guess I was wrong:

----- Forwarded message from [email protected] -----

From: [email protected]
To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Thawte PGP Support
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:20:53 GMT

Hi,

*************
This is an official Thawte Personal Certificate Announcement for all
our customers using PGP
*************

We would like to inform all of Thawte's PGP users that we will soon be
discontinuing our support of PGP. We are in the process of making
changes to our signing engines, and as of 1 September 2000, we will be
converting to new systems. These changes will result in us no longer
being able to sign PGP keys for our users.

The discontinuation of this system will in no way affect the validity
of your keys and the Thawte signatures on your keys will remain valid.
For those of you who have had your identities verified for the Thawte
Web of Trust, your points will remain and you are invited to obtain
personal x.509 certificates which carry your name. Between now and 1
september, please feel free to get any keys that you might have,
signed by Thawte.

In the past we have attempted to keep up to date with our support of
newer releases of PGP, but have not always managed to achieve this
with the effectiveness that is commonly associated with other Thawte
services. We still believe, however, that PGP is an excellent personal
encryption tool, and this decision should in no way be interpreted as
an indication of our confidence in PGP.

If you have any questions or comments on this announcement, please
feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience.
Regards,
--
Bruce Watermeyer
Thawte Certification

Need the strongest encryption available? Get a Thawte 128-bit
SuperCert
at http://www.thawte.com/certs/server/128bit/contents.html

"It's better to regret something you did,
Than something you didn't do!"

----- End forwarded message -----