Re: TLD operations change

  • From: Patrick Evans
  • Date: Tue Aug 01 19:44:37 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Verd, Brad wrote:

> Effective zone serial number 2000080101, g.root-servers.net
> (192.112.36.4) will no longer be authoritatively answering for
> com, net, org.  In its place g.gtld-servers.net (198.41.3.101)
> will be added as an authoritative server for com, net, org.

All well and good, but it didn't stop a lookup on NS for
com. returning g.gtld-servers.net. as one of the authoritative
nameservers for that zone with the same IP address as
g.root-servers.net...

Is my local resolver screwed (not particularly likely, unless I've
_really_ broken something) or was the migration process less than
perfect?

> A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     198.41.0.4
> F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     192.5.5.241

Would it be silly to set up a.gtld-servers.net and f.gtld-servers.net
to point at the same IPs, for the sake of consistancy, and move those
later?

--
Patrick Evans - Sysadmin, bran addict and couch potato
pre at pre dot org                     www.pre.org/pre