summary Re: replacement for Patton 2715 (G.703->V.35) ?

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Thu Jul 27 09:27:03 2000

as a summary, here are the pointers i was given for what other people are
using in production:

DL085E    http://www.quickeagle.com/products/t1e1/soloe1.html
SAT3000   http://www.dataman.nl/products/NETW/scitec1.htm
GM-H      http://www.pandatel.de/content/products?nummer=17&sb=tele
FCD-20    http://www.rad.com/products/family/fcd-20/fcd-20.htm

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:59:38AM +0100, Ryan O`Connell wrote:
> It's possible to do G.703 on the Cisco directly. What cards are you using?

my last attempt to do exactly that failed.

i was using a Cisco 3620 with a ethernet/dual-WAN card.

in the dual WAN ports i had a dual-integrated-T1 and an integrated-E1.

in the end (after 5 days of cisco attempting the same configuration in a lab),
it was determined that they did not have an IOS that supported that
configuration.

cisco was somewhat confused by my requirement for T1 and E1 in the same router,
but, well, that was my requirement.

i believe that the reason was that the E1 card was designed to work
with a channelized circuit (ie. we could not turn off framing on the E1).

the dual T1 card was designed for VOIP and needed extra hardware to just do
straight T1 data (???).

cisco has since come out with a WAN-G703 card, which purportedly does a raw E1,
but given past experience, i would prefer to go external unless i have lots
of time to play around with different IOS, etc.  (unfortunately not the case
with this project).

we decided in the last project and for this project to use a 4 port serial
card on the cisco and use external equipment.

i guess my one big misunderstanding is that T1 is to E1 what V.35 is to X.21.

i hadn't realized that X.21 appears to be the preferred interface outside
north america, but it does explain the puzzled look on various technicians
faces.  8^)

--
[ Jim Mercer                 [email protected]              +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]