Re: Sonet protection usage

  • From: Jonathon Plonka
  • Date: Thu Jul 27 00:53:06 2000

I might point out that Global Crossing does lay out their paths as rings
including under sea cables.

http://www.globalcrossing.com/net_ac1.htm  for us to europe
http://www.globalcrossing.com/net_pc1.htm  for US to japan.

SOnet circuits for the most part, are set up as protected rings with full
redundancy.  Specing APS does not cost the carrier the same as two circuits
since each of the SONET circuits are speced with a full protection path.
Two circuits would end up with two working and two protect paths using up
twice as much SONET capacity.

The request for APS usually only effects the connection from the SONET MUX
to the router.

NOTE the above only applies to SONET circuits not to DWDM lambdas.

-jonp

--
Jonathon N. Plonka
VP IP Engineering,Global Crossing