Re: bw usage?

  • From: Paul Froutan
  • Date: Wed Jul 26 16:50:24 2000

At 7/26/00 -0400, Alex wrote:

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, David M. Ramsey wrote:

> For now I've cobbled together some crude software to regularly
> read SNMP port byte in/out counters from our switches, stashing
> the deltas in a DB for later reporting/analysis.

We do about the same thing, but we store absolute byte counts, relative
byte counts from the last measurement, and figure the kb/s; we also store
AdminStatus and OperStatus for SLA purposes.

> I'm concerned that the data is misleading, though, in that it will
> include LAN broadcast traffic.  Also, customers end up paying
> for other bandwidth that they did not want or induce, like network
> scans, etc. (tough luck?).

Exactly, tough. If they use the bandwidth, then they should pay for the
bandwidth.

Depending on which switch you're using, you can also poll the switch for broadcast and multicast on the port and subtract that from the total so you don't bill for that.

Paul Froutan                              Email: [email protected]
Rackspace Managed Hosting                    <
http://www.rackspace.com>