Re: Internet FUD Abound

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Jul 26 16:39:18 2000

On Wed, 26 July 2000, Andrew Bender wrote:
> Another lapse in editorial integrity... this time, Reuters:
>
> http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/reuters/REU20000726S0007

The Reuters article skips over some of the important qualifiers
in the Nature letter.  Read the entire letter on the Nature
website.  http://www.nature.com/

The conclusions are interesting, but I think missing a few pieces
of data.  Every major public NAP has had service affecting incidents,
and so far we have not seen the partioning effect Albert et al write
about.  I've also followed a fair number problems in the private
connections, also without major network partion beyond those networks.
Further, the source data from NLANR doesn't pick up every possible
connection between networks.  You should view source data as a floor(),
not a ceil(), on the connectivity.  And finally, coordinating a physical
attack on more than a few physical locations is hard, even with perfect
information.

Of course, this is a false argument because it has never happened doesn't
mean it can never happen.  But I think its important to understand why
such an attack is hard, as well as understanding why it is possible.

On the other hand, there have been accidents (and perhaps some attacks)
on the logical layer which have severely disrupted the Internet.  The
interesting thing about logical attacks is you don't need perfect information
about the network because the critical points of the network almost act as
natural gravity wells pulling the attack towards them (using a physical
analogy in cyberspace).