Re: Wanted: Clueful Individual @ TeleGlobe.net

  • From: Derek J. Balling
  • Date: Wed Jul 26 14:44:12 2000

At 12:11 AM -0700 7/26/00, Joe Rhett wrote:
California is quite different, where Pacific Bell has violated peoples'
privacy and the FCC's fair access regulations enough that the PUC is
promoting a referendum named the "Telecommunications Bill of Rights" or
some such likeness.
But in other ways, California's PUC is more of the same: [paraphrased, this was some time ago]

Me: I've been without telco service for two days, they committed to be here yesterday between 8am and noon, and then again TODAY between 8am and noon, and they still aren't there.
PUC: Do you have that in writing?
Me: Pardon?
PUC: Do you have that in writing from Pacific Bell, that they would be there during those windows?
Me: I need to get repair commitments in writing? Do you harbor some delusion that the US Postal Service could accept their mailed commitment at 1a.m. Sunday morning, and have it waiting for me Monday morning at 8am to flash at people when they fail to meet their deadline?
PUC: We can only act on a written guarantee, or some other evidence of the commitment.
Me: I could tape the conversation, but you'd probably tell me that was illegal as well.
PUC: Indeed, it would be illegal, unless you notified them first.
Me: To which, of course, they would say "No, you may tape the call" and hang up. I know, I worked for a telco, that's the standard response.
PUC: Yes, that's correct. Most telcos will not speak to you if you are taping the call.
Me: So basically my only hope of getting any assistance from you guys is to find the appropriate person to bribe with ample payoffs, the way the telcos do, right?
PUC: I don't know what you're talking about, sir.
Me: Then your bosses aren't sharing. You should complain. Have a nice day.