Re: Sonet protection usage

  • From: Neil J. McRae
  • Date: Wed Jul 26 12:57:54 2000

> At 07:10 AM 07/26/2000 -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
>
> >My opinion (based on a fair number of years of experience) is that any
> >ISP foolish enough to have bought APS should also ask proof that no
> >other circuit is provisioned for the same APS.  Once you've done that,
> >a class action might be in order....
>
> This isn't an issue, when you own the transmission gear (like many NSPs do).

Do telcos in the US actually book contention ratio's on protection paths?!

After thinking about it, it makes sense. Why else do seemingly minor
fibre breaks cause so much disaster [hello Sean!]

At COLT on our Metro SDH provided services if we say that its protected
then its never overbooked, we do offer unprotected services to carriers.

On Gemini and AC-1 they have protected paths, Gemini being
the slightly better cable as according to the brochure I have AC-1's
US leg comes into the same location [brookhaven?].

Regards,
Neil.