Re: Sonet protection usage

  • From: William Allen Simpson
  • Date: Wed Jul 26 07:40:55 2000

William Allen Simpson wrote:

> Bora Akyol wrote:
> > Well-engineered trans-oceanic links are laid such that there are at least
> > two conduits running parallel
> > some large distance apart.
> >
> And which are those?  I was unaware that any were laid that way.  My
> information is dated on that topic, tho'.  (The only one I ever viewed
> was pre-optical.)

A note of personal experience on land sonet: about 5 years ago, the
last time I personally walked a sonet installation, I discovered that
the "ring" that looked so pretty on the engineering diagrams was
actually being laid in a single conduit, without even diverse building
entrances.  Seems the contractor was avoiding costs of right of way
acquisition.  My report cost the contractor several million in
penalties and redesign, and me much pain.  And I've never taken a
sonet contract since.  I'm picky.  You should be, too.

[email protected]