Re: Sonet protection usage

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Jul 26 02:43:50 2000

On Tue, 25 July 2000, Danny McPherson wrote:
> > Of course, the usual failure mode is backhoe fade, not electronics.
> > In which case, that APS circuit was cut along with the rest.
>
> Of course, backhoes don't normally work inside PoPs, which is the application
> of APS I was referring to.  Routers do fail though (often more than links),
> and APS has been demonstrated to work relatively well for protecting against
> such failures.

Although backhoes are often publically identified as the cause of problems,
it turns out 71% of the reportable telephone outages last quarter were due
to problems inside the carrier's control (i.e. inside the C.O.) according
to ATIS/NRSC's calaculations.

CO's are dangerous places for network equipment.